Feast of the Dedication of the Basilica of St. Francis
Today, we celebrate the Feast of the Dedication of the Basilica of St. Francis, the church of the Order of Friars Minor. This Basilica was constructed in honor of St. Francis of Assisi and consecrated by Pope Gregory IX in the 13th Century, whom also canonized St. Francis. Brother Elias of Cortona is known to be supervisor of the construction, he too was a follower of Francis. Construction began in 1228, a few days after St. Francis’ canonization and the final Basilica was finished in 1253. The Basilica can be found in Assisi, Italy where many people pilgrimage to visit the relics of St. Francis and some of his followers. St. Francis’ body can be found in the Crypt of the Basilica, his body was placed there through orders of Pope Gregory IX on May 25, 1230. The Basilica is made up of two churches that sit on the top of a hill ,the “Basilica Superior” (Upper Church) and the “Basilica Inferiore” (Lower Church). On this day, we continue to celebrate the calling that is given to all towards sainthood and to follow God’s call.